A native of Union Springs, Lew was a star player in high school football and baseball, along with four equally talented brothers. He later played baseball for several town teams, including the legendary Moravia team that played on the Keeler Avenue diamond.
|Moravian's team of 1899, |
Amateur Champions of
Central New York. Lew Carr
is in the 2nd row from front,
2nd from the left.
Lew played on Syracuse University’s football and baseball teams in 1900 while attending law school. After one year, he interrupted his law studies to join the Troy Trojans, a professional baseball team. Scouts for the Pittsburgh Pirates took immediate notice of his talent and recruited him to play shortstop alongside a third baseman by the name of Hans “Honus” Wagner.
Unfortunately, Lew’s career as a Pirate came to an abrupt end when a hard pitched ball hit and seriously injured him. (Despite initial complaints from many of the fans, Wagner took over Lew’s position and went on to become perhaps the greatest shortstop of all time.) Lew played with the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball team from 1902-1906, then returned to Syracuse where he played with the Stars while completing his law degree.
|Lew Carr in his|
early semi-pro days
Society and Museum)
A young boy approached Lew one day, asking if he would teach some of the kids how to play baseball. Lew agreed to help and shortly afterwards “Carr’s Cubs” was organized. Besides teaching the boys the game, Lew helped them raise funds to buy equipment and helped build an organization that earned the support of many businesses and residents. In 1954, the Moravia team formally joined the Little League program.
|Carr's Cubs, 1946|
Update 7/19/2013 - Article about Lew Carr Field in the Syracuse Post-Standard by Sean Kirst.